POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quantum levitation : Re: Quantum levitation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:21:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quantum levitation
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 20 Oct 2011 19:04:08
Message: <4ea0a8e8$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/19/2011 11:17 PM, Saul Luizaga wrote:
> Yes I know is only magnetic force passing through a superconductor and
> getting stuck on its way through but since I don't know much about
> Quantum Physics I thought some how the 2 forces could somehow me mixed
> or interact, to achieve lift at quantum level or something like that. I
> wonder why I don't read scientists trying to make practical use of
> anti-gravity.

Because, anti-gravity isn't possible until you understand "gravity". The
magnetic stuff isn't anti-gravity, and it requires superconductors,
which do not work at sane temperatures (as in any range of such that are
practical, at all, or would provide enough lifting for more than a small
disc, over a magnet).

> I was told that they have found a way to tele+transport a
> monochrome laser light 1 meter using Quantum Physics, where are those
> experiments, we could use that.

For what? Just because you can monkey with like 1:10,000 photons
produced by such a laser, in a way that results in that one photon being
"teleported" a meter or so, doesn't mean that you can do shit all useful
with it. Seriously, if it was that easy to produce quantum effects, or
entangled pairs, we would already have light sabers (basically, you
split the pair, send on out the business end, and send the other down
the tube, to be "bounced" back, or absorbed, so that the other half of
the pair "stops" at the length you want. Problem is, the blade could be
only as long as the "hilt", or more precisely the absorption/reflection
chamber. Second problem - even if you had part of each pair bouncing
around inside a reflection chamber, it would take you a week to form a
blade, and it would dissipate in seconds, the moment it hit something,
since you can't "consistently" produce entangled pairs at anything near
the scale, and rate, needed to do it.

Same problem with trying to "teleport" lasers. It only works,
consistently, with single photons, and then only with some X number, out
of Y produced. What do you want next, make them bend around corners, or
produce Star Trek holodecks?