From: Darren New
Date: 20 Oct 2011 17:15:34
Message: <4ea08f76@news.povray.org>
On 10/20/2011 13:00, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> Sorry, but you really needed the lmgtfy this time. :-)
>
> Darren used to say "Google is your friend".
>
> Now we say "Google is your employer". :-P

OK, now *that* is going in my .signature at some point.

>> Did you apply to google? Send me your contact info, and I'll push it
>> into the process here to get you a call.
>
> If I apply, am I going to have to commute to London?

You would have to work that out with them. They'd probably pay to relocate you.

> If yes, then there's really no point applying. If they'd let me work
> remotely, than I'd totally be interested...

I don't know about England, but in the USA, that tends not to be common.

That said, why the hell are you so resistant to even talking about applying?
Why are you asking me for all the reasons you shouldn't even bother to apply
to one of the most desirable tech companies around when someone on the
inside is offering to get your resume to the top of the pile? Do you think
if you interview they're going to *make* you work there?

You know, this is probably one of the few places where your employer might
pay you to work in Haskell. :-)

> (Not that it's impossible for me to travel to London. I just don't want to
> do it on a daily basis.)

Sure. I live 75 miles from where I work, and until I got that straightened
out, it was pretty annoying commuting every day. There's still enough people
here that commute to the next city over that we run 3 vans every day.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)