POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Many Americans seem to live in a bubble : Re: Many Americans seem to live in a bubble Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:32:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Many Americans seem to live in a bubble
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 19 Oct 2011 18:33:34
Message: <4e9f503e$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/19/2011 12:03 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 09:15:43 +0100, Invisible wrote:
>
>> You make America sound like how Europe was four centuries ago.
>
> Well, it's a diverse country....so it's hard to make a broad sweeping
> generalisation like that.
>
> Some places it's fine to be an atheist, others not so much.  I'm in Utah
> and am an atheist, but I don't advertise it so much (though most of my
> friends here wouldn't particularly care, whether they're LDS or not).
>
> But I think I'd avoid making it known while in places like rural areas in
> the southeast.
>
> Jim
Pharyngula has been running stuff recently from people on "Why I am an
atheist". One of the recent entries is from someone in Mississippi.
Doesn't say that its "dangerous" per-say to be one, but definitely
damned inconvenient, if they ever came out and said so. I would argue
that there are probably a "few" places in some of those states where
"inconvenient" goes a bit beyond just not having anyone at all listen to
anything you ever say, or the like. There are some real nuts in this
country, more so even than the people running for office, and, pretty
much by definition, such people are scared to death of being alone, so
they tend to congregate all in one place. This means either clubs (if in
larger cities), but little opportunity to really hurt anyone, or,
possibly, whole bloody towns, in places where the "law" is one of their
own members.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/10/19/why-i-am-an-atheist-lucretius-of-mississippi/