POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Speaking of reboots : Re: Speaking of reboots Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:26:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speaking of reboots
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Oct 2011 12:24:43
Message: <4e9ef9cb$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/19/2011 4:31, Phil Cook v2 wrote:
> Probably two operating systems - hardware and user interfacing; the latter
> can read but not write to the hardware and so it needs to reboot to the
> other OS to save things. A bit like the PS3 updates.

I was thinking that it was the same motherboard (for example) regardless of
the size of the screen, number of HDMIs, etc. So the easiest way to
configure is to have the start-up programs poll the hardware the first time,
configure things into flash, and then reboot to initialize everything.

For consumer electronics, there's often two boot partitions, and they get
updated in two separate steps of rebooting so if one fails, it still can
boot the other.

Interestingly enough, it turns out that when I turn on the TV, the screen
comes on within a couple of seconds, and the "select input" button (i.e.,
which HDMI port you're watching) goes active a couple seconds later, but if
you hit the menu key, the first 20 seconds it just says "Powering on, please
wait..." and then after that for another 20 or 30 seconds, you can watch the
menus getting populated one by one. The web browser is really slow (and
apparently not based on webkit, given the rendering flaws), so I wouldn't be
surprised if the whole UI is written in javascript.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?