From: Darren New
Date: 19 Oct 2011 12:20:44
Message: <4e9ef8dc@news.povray.org>
On 10/19/2011 0:58, Invisible wrote:
> We have an application for Windows NT which doesn't work under XP because it
> replaces serial.sys with its own custom version. (I'm not kidding!)

That's exactly why in later versions of Windows, you started seeing code in
the OS to roll back such changes automatically.

> The application I was fixing yesterday does communicate via the serial port,
> but I don't think it does anything particularly special. Indeed, it appears
> to be designed for Windows 3, not NT.

One of the biggest upgrade problems between Win3/Win98 and the NT series was
stuff that used the serial port, because on NT you had to go thru the
drivers and on the single-user OSes you could access the hardware directly.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?