From: Invisible
Date: 19 Oct 2011 03:58:42
Message: <4e9e8332$1@news.povray.org>
>> By an unusual coincidence, I've just come back to my desk after trying
>> to fix one of the three Windows NT machines we're still using... I
>> wonder if that control software works on XP?

> Should. XP was the "upgrade" for both 98 and NT, replacing both. So,
> there isn't likely a reason it wouldn't. Unless, of course, there is
> some wrench in the gears, due to some minor quirk they changed between
> NT and XP, which suddenly hosed those specific applications. That is
> generally why, combined with pure ignorance of even if they would work,
> and how well, that keeps old crap in the system.

We have an application for Windows NT which doesn't work under XP
because it replaces serial.sys with its own custom version. (I'm not
kidding!) Fortunately, we don't use that damned useless program any more...

The application I was fixing yesterday does communicate via the serial
port, but I don't think it does anything particularly special. Indeed,
it appears to be designed for Windows 3, not NT.