POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Many Americans seem to live in a bubble : Re: Many Americans seem to live in a bubble Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:23:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Many Americans seem to live in a bubble
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 18 Oct 2011 17:47:30
Message: <4e9df3f2$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/18/2011 8:54 AM, Darren New wrote:

>>> Depends, which state did you hear it happening in?
>>>
>>> Mind, that is an exaggeration of the truth, but its not that damn
>>> dissimilar to the reality in some places.
>>
>> OK, *so* glad I decided not to take that trip to America now... o_O
>
> Actually, no, nobody actually gets murdered in their sleep for being
> atheists. You get nasty looks from neighbors, and teachers give your
> kids bad grades, and your house might even get TPed, but even that is
> very rare and limited to small towns where everyone is inbred anyway.

There have been a "few" cases, someone dead by the road, a few days
after raising a stink about something being done in a town meeting, or
government event, that was purely sectarian. Whole families having to
move, because while no one had died *yet* it was fairly obvious that
staying was likely to end up with a corpse, even if it wasn't entirely
clear if one of the family would be on the slab, or some idiot that went
one step farther over the edge, and tried to rape/beat up one of them
was there instead... They are not common, but they do happen, as much as
we actually hear about it, in some parts of the south.

For the most part though, they know they are a small minority, they have
a very insane idea about what is needed to "solve" the countries
problems (in that it involves pretty much violating the rights of the
other 99.9% of the US), a lot of it is small time BS, by people that
wouldn't, themselves, lift of finger to hurt anyone, but never the less
are *greatly* offended when someone suggests their sectarian behaviors,
and even some ordinances/laws they have locally, are illegal under the
US constitution, etc. The biggest problem is that the truly crazy are
able to listen to the ranting, whining, idiocy, of such people, over the
net, and you get the, "No one among the Christians For a Theocratic
Constitution ***actually*** said to shoot at X person, its purely
coincidence that we hinted at it for months over the local radio, and
the internet, during which the person that did it happened to a) listen
to the radio, and read our website!". I personally, in the case of some
of the "pro-life" movement, and some others, this shouldn't be a valid
defense of their actions. How often do you hear from "some" of the
middle eastern wackos that they, "Talk about the west, and what someone
should do about it, or blow up, or shoot, but they never *ordered*, or
*payed* anyone to do so, personally!"? Too damn many of them. But, its
the same defense by radical pro-life sites, to why its not their fault
that certain clinics get fire bombed, or doctors shot and killed.

And, its the same "defense" from the radical, "Anti-everything that
isn't Evangelical, often Biblical Literalist, Christian". Any
inexplicable, oddly not well investigated, and, as far as we know,
without looking at every local paper in the region, rare, case, is
completely unrelated, according to these sorts of groups. After all,
they never ordered, or paid, anyone to do it.