POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Many Americans seem to live in a bubble : Re: Many Americans seem to live in a bubble Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Many Americans seem to live in a bubble
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 18 Oct 2011 17:15:37
Message: <4e9dec79$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/17/2011 12:19 PM, Warp wrote:
> Patrick Elliott<sel### [at] npgcablecom>  wrote:
>> Recent law they are trying to pass - Protection for Catholic hospitals,
>> which are sadly a large percentage of them, to not merely deny help to
>> women on the verge of death, due to pregnancy complications, but to also
>> "deny them the right to be transferred to some place where they can be
>> treated". The theory being that, somehow, those women are, I don't know
>> what the fuck, maybe bribing the Catholic doctors to "fake" illness, or
>> causing it themselves, in some proxy to get shipped to another hospital,
>> to receive abortions? I mean WTF? But, apparently, this is *way* more
>> important than taking jobs seriously, or creating legislation about
>> *anything* other than bullshit like this.
>
>    I hear that in some state they are trying to redefine the legal meaning
> of "rape" in such a way that it's not grounds for abortion anymore. This
> not to talk about that law proposal that women seeking abortion must be
> subjected to a mandatory and extensive guilt-trip by the doctor (among
> other things, the doctor must make her listen to the heartbeat of the
> fetus, give a long lecture about the sanctity of life, and whatnot).
>
>    I don't really get it. Rather than these right-wing nutjobs jumping
> through incredibly ridiculous hoops to make abortion illegal in practice,
> why they don't simply make it illegal, period? That's what they want. Why
> are they engaging in these ridiculous legal acrobatics? (Not that I would
> endorse them to do that, I'm just honestly wondering. Is it some kind of
> federal law that they cannot override or something?)

Because, 90% of the people in the country wouldn't stand for the other
10% making it illegal, and not just because:

1. The number of cases where higher when it was illegal.
2. The number of cases of teen pregnancies and abortions is far higher,
in the places that these wackos come from (even if they have to go out
of state to find services) than all the "liberal" places, which teach
real sex education, don't have laws letting pharmacists opt out of
selling birth control, etc.
3. Short of overturning decades of legal precedent, including the
original Roe vs. Wade, they simply ***can't legally ban it***.

So, their tactic is the same as everything else they do, including
sneaking creationism into classrooms, and other crap they also want.
Find loopholes, lie, make it harder to stop their own agenda, lie, find
way to circumvent people's freedoms, lie some more, and so on.

Its a gorilla war, being fought by fanatics, lunatics, and idiots,
against the rest of the population, on some insane theory that every
single damn thing that ever goes wrong in the US has **nothing** to do
with the economy, or laws, or anything else that is fucked up. No,
everything *wrong* is caused by gay rights, abortion, and daring to
state that sex is something you can't scare/lie them into avoiding,
until marriage. They probably literally, in some cases, *do* think that
women are either faking their life threatening conditions, during
difficult births, or that somehow those things are a "result of unwed
sex, or promiscuity".

They simply cannot, without violating prior law, or the constitution,
impose these rules on the rest of the country. This means that all they
have is loopholes, lies, and money, to try to force such things through
*at all*.

Sadly, in some cases, they end up being effective, like how Arizona,
where I live, can't legally "not" teach sex ed at all, but *is* required
to "emphasize stupid, religiously motivated, bullshit, which doesn't
work, i.e. abstinence."