From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 18 Oct 2011 16:24:43
Message: <4e9de08b$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/18/2011 10:14 AM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> I've never had software from a repository not "just work" when I
>> installed it. Certainly no worse than Windows, which will still
>> occasionally get confused enough to need you to uninstall and reinstall
>> a device driver.
>
> Problem #1 is when the software you want isn't in the repository, or is
> in a different repository. Problem #2 is when the package depends on a
> different version of some core library that everything in the entire
> system uses.
>
> I've seen crappy Windows drivers do lame things. Applications tend to
> work reasonably well - except stuff written for Windows 3. (It depresses
> me how much software of that kind I still have to deal with at work...)

No, depressing is realizing that most of those things "would work" well,
if you still have Windows 3, because fixing them usually amounted to
updating every single damn system file, to the most stable version, and
in the right order, due to the tendency of one program to install and
destroy the prior, better, version of that library (which might have
been 2.4, while the one your "new" program replaced it with was 1.3). I
really fail to comprehend how MS ***never*** thought of version checking
back then, and why the hell, even after they did, all they did was go,
"Do you want me to screw this up, by replacing the newer version with
one that won't work?" Huh??? Gosh, sure...!