POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Speaking of reboots : Re: Speaking of reboots Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:24:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speaking of reboots
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Oct 2011 13:13:58
Message: <4e9db3d6$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/18/2011 9:42, Warp wrote:
>    It's almost becoming full circle. Back in the 50's or so it would take
> a TV half a minute to warm up before the picture came on.

Half a minute? Try at least 3 or 4 before the picture was actually stable. :-)

I *am* amused that one of the selling points on the box is that it turns on
some 30% faster than the previous model.

Granted, it's a sophisticated beast, with a decent web browser, a wireless
DLNA renderer, a camera to notice you aren't actually watching TV any more
and turn itself off, control via HDMI of other various devices (like, you
can turn off the PS3 and/or sound system by turning off the TV if you set it
up that way), etc. For a thing like that, it's actually pretty quick to
start up and be ready.  Faster even than the previous TV that did much less,
and 10x as fast as my phone (which also has poor responsiveness for several
minutes after being started up - when will people learn that desktop OSes do
real-time very poorly?)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?