From: Jim Henderson
Date: 17 Oct 2011 19:07:31
Message: <4e9cb533@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 09:35:17 +0100, Invisible wrote:

>>> Not /entirely/, no. Many things are subjective, but not all of them.
>>
>> When it comes to user selection of tools, yes, they are.  If I find
>> something easy to use, who are you to tell me "no, that's not easy"?
>
> If product A is lacking a major, important feature, and product B isn't,
> then which one is better? Clearly this is objective, not subjective.

Important to *whom*?  If it's important to you but not to me, then the
opinion is in fact subjective.

> (The only way it becomes subjective is if the feature in question is
> only useful to some people.)

Bingo.

> I'll grant you *most* things in tool selection are quite subjective. I'm
> just saying that not *all* of it is.

And I'm not asserting that all of it is, either.  Though I suppose I
haven't explicitly stated that - but it would be absurd to make an
absolutist case for something that might even be frequently objective,
wouldn't it?

Jim