POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Many Americans seem to live in a bubble : Re: Many Americans seem to live in a bubble Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:12:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Many Americans seem to live in a bubble
From: Warp
Date: 17 Oct 2011 15:19:16
Message: <4e9c7fb3@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:
> Recent law they are trying to pass - Protection for Catholic hospitals,
> which are sadly a large percentage of them, to not merely deny help to
> women on the verge of death, due to pregnancy complications, but to also
> "deny them the right to be transferred to some place where they can be
> treated". The theory being that, somehow, those women are, I don't know
> what the fuck, maybe bribing the Catholic doctors to "fake" illness, or
> causing it themselves, in some proxy to get shipped to another hospital,
> to receive abortions? I mean WTF? But, apparently, this is *way* more
> important than taking jobs seriously, or creating legislation about
> *anything* other than bullshit like this.

  I hear that in some state they are trying to redefine the legal meaning
of "rape" in such a way that it's not grounds for abortion anymore. This
not to talk about that law proposal that women seeking abortion must be
subjected to a mandatory and extensive guilt-trip by the doctor (among
other things, the doctor must make her listen to the heartbeat of the
fetus, give a long lecture about the sanctity of life, and whatnot).

  I don't really get it. Rather than these right-wing nutjobs jumping
through incredibly ridiculous hoops to make abortion illegal in practice,
why they don't simply make it illegal, period? That's what they want. Why
are they engaging in these ridiculous legal acrobatics? (Not that I would
endorse them to do that, I'm just honestly wondering. Is it some kind of
federal law that they cannot override or something?)

--
                                                          - Warp