From: Invisible
Date: 17 Oct 2011 05:06:23
Message: <4e9bf00f@news.povray.org>
>>> A more appropriate comparison is latest against latest.
>>
>> I don't know how big the latest version of Windows is. I've never
>> installed it. More to the point, I don't know of anybody who's using it
>> yet.
>
> Windows 7.  You might have heard of it.

I've heard of it, yes. What I *said* is that I don't know how big it is.
And that I haven't seen anybody using it.

>>> Yeah, ultimately, you gave up without asking for help.  If you'd asked
>>> for help, someone probably would've been able to help you.
>>
>> 1. You're assuming that it's /possible/ to fix this.
>
> I'm basing that assumption on years of experience in troubleshooting
> Linux systems.
>
> You're giving up and assuming it's impossible to fix it, so why bother
> even asking for help?
>
> *That's* absurd.

Ultimately, it's "possible" to fix anything. You could reimplement the
entire OS, for example. (Isn't that how Linux came to exist in the first
place?) But that's far beyond my level of skill. For all practical
purposes, that's "impossible". Not every computer problem is solvable.

>> 2. You're assuming that had I asked, somebody would have actually
>> bothered to reply. And that their reply would have been helpful.
>
> Again, based on decades of experience in online forums.  Is there a
> chance of a useless answer or no answer?  Sure.  But I guarantee you you
> won't get an answer IF YOU DON'T FUCKING ASK.

My limited experience is that when you ask for help, you get no reply.
Or you get a few replies from people who don't really know how to help
you, but they try to offer you some kind of useful information anyway.

>> As I say, I can get Linux to /work/ OK. Indeed, my dad still uses it on
>> a daily basis. It's just that one or two things - like getting the
>> package manager to install just the packages I actually need - are
>> annoyingly fiddly.
>
> If you asked for help in understanding it, you might just learn something.
>
> Heaven forbid *that* should happen. ;)

What's to understand? Dependencies are tracked at a fairly coarse level.
It is what it is. Just live with it...