POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Many Americans seem to live in a bubble : Re: Many Americans seem to live in a bubble Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:13:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Many Americans seem to live in a bubble
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 16 Oct 2011 22:49:01
Message: <4e9b979d@news.povray.org>
On 10/16/2011 3:33 PM, Darren New wrote:
> On 10/16/2011 6:30, Warp wrote:
>> while something like 95% of people in the US is Christian.
>
> I think *that* number is rather high, given that some 15% are atheists
> and some 5% are Jewish, Muslim, etc. (And Mormons get counted as
> Christians.)
>
> Actually, there ya go:
>
> http://religions.pewforum.org/reports
>
> Pew Forums have actually been around a long time and are fairly
> respected as a source of statistics, too.

Mind, its probably inaccurate, in that its practically a national past
time in the US to deny being agnostic, or even atheist, because you
don't want he neighbors to find out, or you are doing so for the
"benefit of others". There are even some priests that have admitted as
much that the only reason they still have a job is because they think
religion is "useful" to their parishioners, so are afraid of the
consequence of admitting they don't believe, and quitting the job.

If even mentioning that you might, maybe, be one, wouldn't make you
instantly unelectable as even a dog catcher here, and there wasn't a
whole bloody movement dedicated to lying about them, I would bet the
number of atheists, and agnostics, was *well* over 15%, but, since I
have no idea how many it really would be, I think I will stay out of the
pot, when it comes to exact numbers. It might be depressingly less than
I would like, or so bloody large that no one would believe the results.

I do know that a *lot* of the "Christians" here are, I suppose, what you
might call "Atheist Christian", they are pretty sure the Bible is mostly
bull, that Jesus wasn't divine, and that god isn't out there, probably,
but they still "believe in" the idea that Jesus came up with some
amazingly great way of thinking about the world, and acting towards
others, that no one else ever did. They are also, usually, completely
clueless as to how factually wrong that is.