POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Many Americans seem to live in a bubble : Re: Many Americans seem to live in a bubble Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Many Americans seem to live in a bubble
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 16 Oct 2011 14:21:33
Message: <4e9b20ad$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/16/2011 9:06 AM, andrel wrote:
>> andrel<byt### [at] gmailcom>  wrote:
>>> In the Netherlands we have sort of a state religion, in the sense that
>>> our Queen is from a particular church. But all religions that were
>>> present in the beginning of the 20th centuries all are treated the same.
>>> Yes they have privileges, but giving a church tax breaks does not make
>>> the country a theocracy.
>>
>>    I don't know how it is in Netherlands, but in Finland there's an
>> official
>> state church (from the Lutheran denomination) that has official special
>> privileges, and special legislature governing it. No other
>> denomination nor
>> religion has the same status.
>
> But is the church consulted during the law making process? If not it is
> still not a theocracy. Theocracy means that God and its representatives
> are *ruling*.
Actually, this isn't the right question. The correct question is, "Did,
at one time, the church have primary control over how laws where
passed." The answer is yes, and that is why no one lets them bloody to
it any more. In the US, the answer is, "No, they fought with each other
over what stupid thing they wanted to have passed, so never got much of
any where. The result being that every damn one of them, and their
followers, are *still* convinced that letting one of them dictate the
law would be a really neato idea."