POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Many Americans seem to live in a bubble : Re: Many Americans seem to live in a bubble Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:28:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Many Americans seem to live in a bubble
From: Darren New
Date: 15 Oct 2011 12:40:51
Message: <4e99b793$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/15/2011 5:39, Warp wrote:
>    1) Many critics of the "occupy Wall Street" movement accuse the protesters
> of opposing capitalism.

America has gotten sucked into (or dove into) several wars with countries
that were titularly not capitalist. If someone says something isn't
capitalist, they're simply trying to appeal to the emotions of the listeners
without actually making rational arguments.

As you have pointed out, the people who classify stuff so simplistically
aren't rational anyway, so it's what you hear on the news.

We also have people complaining that Obama has the wrong kind of birth
certificate and stupid shit like that. They're also very loud and irrational.

>    I don't understand this accusation at all.

Because you're thinking it's part of a rational, logical argument, rather
than the financial equivalent of screaming "you're not patriotic!!1!"

>    2) If you do a bit of searching, you will find tons of conspiracy theories
> about how the FDA is shutting down, hiding and attacking alternative cures
> for all kinds of diseases.

Again, people who fall for this are the same people who aren't too bright.
They also think there's a car engine that runs on water that the oil
companies are buying the patents to and hiding, not even realizing that if
it's patented it's already public knowledge.

You're hearing loud stupid people that only other loud stupid people take
seriously.  And yes, most of our loud stupid people are very parochial,
because travel tends to make you less stupid.

>    These people seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that there
> are many countries where Christianity is not predominant.

But those countries are also evil! :-)

>    Yet these countries have not fallen into chaos and anarchy, their societies
> crumbling under the lack of morality, order and law.

Sure they are. They have all that awful legalized prostitution and drugs,
and anyway God hates them, and that's good enough. ;-)

 > In fact, there are
> statistically *less* crime in most European countries than there is in
> the US (regardless of the type of crime).

And we have far fewer atheists in jail than christians, even per capita.
You're using logic to try to debunk religion. :-)

> Yet these American Christians
> seem either completely unaware of this, don't want to think about it,
> or actively ignore or deny it.

Yes. It would challenge their world view, which can't really afford to be
challenged.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?