From: Darren New
Date: 15 Oct 2011 12:31:32
Message: <4e99b564$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/15/2011 2:08, andrel wrote:
 > That said, windows does have a priority mechanism, and the taskmanager is
 > running at a high level, two levels higher than Blender and Matlab, so why
 > does it not work?

Because you're confusing disk priorities with CPU priorities, and you can't
easily interrupt a disk seek. That's kind of what I've been saying. In the
length of time it takes the Task Manager to get to the next page-in, Blender
has already run far enough to trigger a page fault on its own.

 > If it is because someone is using it for other things, like POVray, Blender
 > or a game fire that person. If it is because of tasks that should run there
 > fire the IT manager or the financial director, depending on who was
 > responsible for buying the wrong infrastructure.

But you might not know. And you might not be able to easily tell. And you
might be running multiple tasks on the same machine, or even multiple
operating systems nowadays.

 > Windows is open source now? I missed that.

No. Fix it in Linux. :-)  Linux does exactly the same thing.