POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Firebird : Re: Firebird Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:27:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Firebird
From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 12 Oct 2011 14:27:18
Message: <4e95dc06$1@news.povray.org>
If the answer was for me thanks. As I wrote is only for learning and
using in University class projects, nothing massive like a CD collection
just mare electronics circuits data from computer ports and PICs,
probably some text too, really small data set.

I worked as a support technician in a cooperative and I had to install
Oracle as a routine when a we had to make a clean Windows Install (XP at
that time) and yes, it was big and when a developer added a feature, it
was a pain to actually have it to work, even the developer had to modify
the configuration/connection files several times and I think made an
ODBC config in Control Panel and sometimes "the ghost in the machine"
wouldn't let it work, even when everything was well configured, the
developer had to personally assist the user along with me and make
network functionality diags, reinstallations... well a nightmare and I
got delayed to attend other users that needed me and my monthly
attention rate dropped and I looked like I was scratching my belly half
the freaking time, yes, fortunately no Oracle representative was around
or I'd punch his nose on sight, well no really, because they do had
meeting with the software engineering team and I saw them, but it was
the piece of software I didn't want to install if I could avoid it and I
didn't understood why they could make it friendlier, why not hire a
small team of developers just to do that, after all it was a $us 1
Million a year that Cooperative payed to get the product and full
support, the network user base was 500 but the Oracle's was about 300,
the self developed product was SIGECOM IIRC.