From: Invisible
Date: 12 Oct 2011 04:27:57
Message: <4e954f8d$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/10/2011 09:13 PM, Darren New wrote:
> On 10/11/2011 13:02, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> So Microsoft has secretly implemented an undocumented system to allow any
>> unauthenticated Internet node to bypass all security restrictions and
>> access
>> any port on a Windows PC?
>
> You mean the "secret" IPv6 standard documentation on how to do this
> tunneling?

The "secret" part being that they didn't warn anybody "hey, we've
implemented a new feature to completely disable the security of your
network".

>> (Although I still don't quite get how it can bypass a firewall that
>> doesn't
>> allow inbound traffic. Still, Wikipedia says it does, so it must be
>> true.)
>
> The same way IPv4 ssh does. It tunnels out first. It's not like anyone
> can connect to your machine that you don't know about, any more than
> returning IP packets from a TCP connection "bypass" your firewall.

Either it does allow more people to connect, or it doesn't. Make you
mind up!

The thing about NAT is that [in the default configuration] it allows
outbound connections only. Either Teredo tunnelling changes that
invariant, or it doesn't.