From: Darren New
Date: 10 Oct 2011 12:55:09
Message: <4e93236d$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/9/2011 21:42, Jim Henderson wrote:
 > Are you sure about that?

Pretty sure. Certainly people like suing Microsoft more than they like suing
open source projects. :-)

> If Acrobat Reader crashed a Windows box, it would be
> Adobe's problem regardless of if Microsoft distributed the file or if
> they got it from Adobe.

Yet, oddly, people blame Windows when a video driver crashes. Fancy that.

> But a "repository" for Windows is just a "download" site.  It doesn't
> include actual software management elements per se.

The management elements are built into the software you download. That's
why, for example, you have things like "Programs\Common Files" and
"Add/Remove Programs" and things like that.

Now, yes, the fact that each program manages its own means you have to deal
with legacy software repositories, so it doesn't always work as cleanly as
it might. DOOM still installs to C:\DOOM or some such. However, there are
actual software management elements available, *if* you want to make use of
them. Many small projects don't.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?