From: Invisible
Date: 10 Oct 2011 06:15:45
Message: <4e92c5d1$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Why do you need that? All that sort of thing is built into Windows.
>>
>> Really? So how do I create an encrypted video connection to the target
>> machine, while at the same time preventing anybody else from doing the
>> same?
>
> Have your target go to the help center and send you an email for "remote
> assistance", and have them tell you the password over the phone. (You
> might have to have them turn on "cp->system->remote->allow remote
> assistance" if they've turned it off.)
>
> If you have a non-"home" version of Windows, set up Remote Desktop,
> which is in controlpanel->system->remote settings->remote->allow remote
> desktop. Of course, once they've done the former, you can remote in and
> do the latter for them.
>
> HTH!

Have you ever tried explaining all that over the phone to somebody who
can't even work a mouse properly yet?

Of course, you would also need to poke a hole in the firewall for that
to work. And make sure I edit whatever settings it is necessary to turn
on encryption. And add a secure password. (The current admin password on
the machine is trivially breakable.)

...or I could set up a *real* VPN, which is *actually* secure...