From: Invisible
Date: 10 Oct 2011 06:11:46
Message: <4e92c4e2@news.povray.org>
>> So, just because it does strong authentication, you think that means the
>> actual data is encrypted?
>
> It's actually a certificate verification message, not a 'strong
> authentication' message.  It's asking about an SSL certificate that's
> used to encrypt the entire communications channel.
>
> You know, like actual security.

Fact: It doesn't matter how strong the authentication process is. This
does not automatically mean that the data that follows is encrypted in
any way at all.

> Don't believe me?  Fine, I'll do a wireshark trace on it.
>
> Nope, 1200 packets, nothing in the clear.

And how do you tell whether random binary data is encrypted or not?

> "128-bit encryption, using the RC4 encryption algorithm, as of Version 6.

RC4? Man, how ancient is that? You realise it was a weakness in RC4 that
allowed WEP to be broken, right?

> Nope, I guess you're right.  Adding 128-bit encryption isn't security.

Fact: The number of bits in the encryption key is not directly related
to how secure the encryption is. Triple DES has a 168-bit key, and it's
widely considered far too insecure to use.

> "Support for Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.0 on both server and client
> ends (set as default)."

Now that's more like it.

(Sadly, on further investigation, it appears that TLS 1 still uses RC4
or Triple-DES. So much for HTTPS being secure...)

> Clearly I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

I'm still left wondering how many of these features are actually turned
on by default. Every Windows protocol I know of sends everything
unencrypted by default, and most of them offer no possibility of adding
encryption. I'd be rather surprised if RDP is different.

> Oh, and I pointed you at an SSH server for Windows.  It comes with Cygwin.

Right. I didn't know about that when I set this up.