From: Invisible
Date: 10 Oct 2011 06:00:03
Message: <4e92c223$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/10/2011 10:00 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:

> The point was that Andy said that binary blob data could be stored in the
> registry and not a Linux configuration file.  Point is, it could be
> stored in a Linux data file, but since it's common to change
> configuration items with an editor in Linux, it's not common to use a
> binary format (though the timezone file is an exception to that IIRC).

The point being, if you want to store some binary data in the middle of
a textual configuration file, you have to base64 encode it or something
(which is less efficient). If you want to stick some binary data in the
registry, you can just store it as binary.

The next question is obviously "why would you want to do this?"

Obviously you shouldn't be storing /large/ amounts of opaque binary
data. That kinda defeats the whole point. But things like hashed
passwords, cryptographic data, product keys, etc are all reasonable
examples.