From: Invisible
Date: 10 Oct 2011 05:52:52
Message: <4e92c074$1@news.povray.org>
>> Oh, tremendously. But they're still a PITA compared to Windows'
>> explorer, methinks.
>
> Depends entirely on what you're used to.

Not /entirely/, no. Many things are subjective, but not all of them.

> Having recently been asked to do some work that requires Windows, I've
> had my own frustrations with the Windows interface and things that don't
> work as efficiently on Windows as they do in Linux.

My favourite one is how inserting a CD is enough to completely lock up
the entire Windows GUI. Or how if your DHCP server doesn't answer,
Windows locks up until that times out. Or...

> The same is true for comparing featuresets between Hyper-V and VMware
> Workstation.  For example, in Hyper-V, if you "pause" a machine, it stays
> allocated in memory rather than suspending.  "Pause" means "suspend
> execution".
>
> In VMware, if you "pause" the VM, VMware grabs the state and commits it
> to disk, freeing up the memory for other VMs.  I find VMware's usage
> makes a lot more sense.

Personally, I'd prefer having two separate buttons for these functions.
Sometimes I just want to pause a VM just for a sec so I can use the CPU
power for something else. So I hit pause in VMware, and facepalm as I
have to wait ten minutes for it to trash the hell out of my HD. The
/entire/ computer is unusable until this finishes. And when I decide to
unpause the VM, we go through the same dance again.

Also fun: Pausing a VM makes the display go away. So it's useless if
you're trying to quickly pause the display so you can *read* that error
message that flashes past too fast to see...