POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Firebird : Re: Firebird Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:23:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Firebird
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 10 Oct 2011 04:08:16
Message: <4e92a7f0@news.povray.org>
Le 10/10/2011 06:18, Saul Luizaga a écrit :
> I'm new to programming (trying Delphi 7.2 now, will try 2007 later on)
> and quite a n00b on databases so if you're experienced I'd be grateful
> if you could give me your input on this. Why Firebird? because I liked
> Borland products, only tried Turbo Pascal and Delphi but in general they
> served well to people and now reading the Interbase History
> (http://www.firebirdsql.org/en/historical-reference/) I realized that
> the original authors continue to develop the original source code, as
> Firebird, and advice the community.
>
> I also found this:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_relational_database_management_systems
> and Firebird looks pretty decent. I don't understand much the database
> terminology but I do the rest, so I think Firebird is OK. Any thoughts?

Depend on what you intend to use a RDMS for.
For private/home use (where free is less expensive too), I usually
compare with MySql and Postgresql.

Mysql is easier, but restricted.
Postgresql is better, but you need to understand the various concepts
beyond RDMS to survive (and they are not explained for the noob in the
documentation).

Both have php-web interface (available separatly) which make them
somehow more friendly for the clickomaniacs.

For enterprise use, I have a very good recollection about Informix (but
you need the giant binders set of paper on the shelf near you, as error
were mainly reported as digits, and the binders give you the text
plain), and despite industry standard, a not so good about Oracle DB.
But it's something with more than 10 years. Things might have changed.

One bad point for Firebird, from the wiki page: the max row size is
limited to 65KB. you cannot store raw data (like image blob) in it. Or
you need special care (such as Large object/blob...).

The Date range (100 - 32768) is also a bit strange.