From: Jim Henderson
Date: 10 Oct 2011 00:42:28
Message: <4e9277b4@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 18:10:18 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 10/9/2011 16:14, Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> Insurance. Management. Stuff like that. Basically, overhead and risk
>>> abatement.
>>
>> So, the same kinds of things that you have to be careful of with Linux
>> repositories as well.
>
> No. People putting things into a Linux repository aren't going to sue
> them for failing to distribute it properly. Nobody is going to sue Red
> Hat when Reader crashes their machines. Etc.

Are you sure about that?  And of course, why would it be any different
for Windows?  If Acrobat Reader crashed a Windows box, it would be
Adobe's problem regardless of if Microsoft distributed the file or if
they got it from Adobe.

>> That's why, for example, the official openSUSE repos don't have any
>> proprietary codecs or device drivers in them.  Because of liability,
>> insurance, and management.
>
> Well, there you go, then. Why are you asking why Microsoft doesn't do
> it, then? There are tons of repositories of free Windows software that
> Microsoft doesn't run.

I should clarify that the Fluendo codecs are in there - and are properly
licensed in order to be in there.  I always forget about those. :)

Point is, openSUSE is just one distro and made their decision on it, but
you can add the Packman repository and add the other codecs if you so
desire (and then the burden of liability falls to the user, since Packman
is non-US - based in Germany, IIRC).

But a "repository" for Windows is just a "download" site.  It doesn't
include actual software management elements per se.

Jim