From: Darren New
Date: 9 Oct 2011 16:11:57
Message: <4e92000d$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/9/2011 10:31, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 19:19:27 -0700, Darren New wrote:
>
>> On 10/8/2011 18:05, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> I didn't know I could install Adobe Acrobat, Flash, or other third
>>> party software from Windows Update. ;)
>>
>> You can, if it passes Microsoft certification requirements. I saw
>> instructions somewhere for setting it up with Microsoft.
>
> Not really the point, though.

Sure, in practice, Linux repos are the first and best source of code, and in
practice Windows Update is the last place people go to look for updates of
non-Microsoft code. But as I said, I think that's more the difference
between FOSS and commercial software than a difference between Linux and
Windows per se.

Is that your point?

> But you're saying that it doesn't cost the folks who run Pacman money to
> host repositories?

I'm not sure what your point is. It would cost Microsoft way more to host
upgrades on Windows Update than it would to host free software on a Linux
repository, even if the bandwidth and storage requirements were identical.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?