From: Jim Henderson
Date: 9 Oct 2011 13:28:33
Message: <4e91d9c1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 19:20:24 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 10/8/2011 18:03, Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> Autoconf? :-)
>>
>> Autoconf isn't really a configuration file.  It's a configuration file
>> parser. ;)
>
> Hey, it's all binary blobs anyway, right? ;-)

Sure.  I suppose you'll point out that the binary structure of an
executable that actually does something to manipulate the data in another
file means that the executable is a configuration file.

My point was data is data is data is data, regardless of structure
assigned to that data.  If you put a "binary blob" in the Windows
registry, something knows what the structure of that blob means,
otherwise it's just random data.

>> Though I find that the state of Linux GUIs is improving.  Certainly has
>> since I started using it.
>
> Oh, tremendously. But they're still a PITA compared to Windows'
> explorer, methinks.

Depends entirely on what you're used to.

Having recently been asked to do some work that requires Windows, I've
had my own frustrations with the Windows interface and things that don't
work as efficiently on Windows as they do in Linux.

The same is true for comparing featuresets between Hyper-V and VMware
Workstation.  For example, in Hyper-V, if you "pause" a machine, it stays
allocated in memory rather than suspending.  "Pause" means "suspend
execution".

In VMware, if you "pause" the VM, VMware grabs the state and commits it
to disk, freeing up the memory for other VMs.  I find VMware's usage
makes a lot more sense.

Jim