From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Oct 2011 21:05:08
Message: <4e90f344$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 17:56:20 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 10/8/2011 14:23, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Windows could benefit from implementing something akin to a Linux
>> software repository for stuff like this.
>
> They have it. Windows Update. Where your device drivers come from. :-)

I didn't know I could install Adobe Acrobat, Flash, or other third party
software from Windows Update. ;)

(That's actually what I was talking about - not about driver installs)

>> Getting the software makers to agree might take some work,
>
> And that is the problem. That, and commercial entities don't really want
> their software in Windows Update where people could install it without
> paying for it. The model really only works for free software.

The software in question I'm talking about is available gratis as it is.
Like Flash, Acrobat Reader, Java, etc.

>> but then again, Adobe has Acrobat Reader in most distributions'
>> official repositories.
>
> Probably because Adobe doesn't have to deal with it. They just have to
> give permission.

So why not something like that for Windows, too?

Jim