From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Oct 2011 21:00:12
Message: <4e90f21c$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 17:47:22 -0700, Darren New wrote:

>>> The irony is, you actually /can/ uninstall Windows networking (and
>>> even the TCP/IP protocol). And Notepad still works. :-P
>>
>> Not if you try to save to a networked drive.
>
> But that's a stupid argument. Notepad still works even without
> networking if you don't try to use networking. Linux doesn't, because
> everything assumes it's there.

Conceded.

> On the other hand, Linux still works if you uninstall graphics drivers,
> and Windows (and Notepad) fall over.

Indeed that is true. :)

>> Installing Windows + applications is a lot more than 4 GB.
>
> Windows hasn't fit on less than a DVD in quite some time. I think the
> base install is a 3.5G DVD image or so. Not counting Office and such.

Well, Andy wants to compare modern Linux distributions with a 10-year old
version of Windows.  <shrug>

>> Which is why having a community to ask questions of (including 'is
>> there a pre-built package for 'x'', surprisingly enough) is a good
>> thing.
>
> Does anyone else miss the good old days when it was possible to use a
> computer based on the instructions it came with, without having to have
> a live connection open to the people who wrote the software you're
> using? Where you could buy a book, and read the book, and then use in
> all its details the software the book described?

Yes, I certainly do.  Software documentation of most kinds absolutely
sucks rocks these days.  It tends to focus on what the software does
rather than how to do it or why you'd want to use it the way they
designed it.

NetWare - one of my favourite OSes of all time - the last version that
had decent documentation was 2.15.  *Maybe* 3.11 (it's been a while) did
as well.  The last version was 6.5, and in spite of knowing and
respecting members of the team that wrote the docs, it was pretty ugly in
terms of actually being documentation.

Jim