From: Darren New
Date: 8 Oct 2011 20:56:21
Message: <4e90f135$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/8/2011 14:23, Jim Henderson wrote:
> Windows could benefit from implementing something akin to a Linux
> software repository for stuff like this.

They have it. Windows Update. Where your device drivers come from. :-)

> Getting the software makers to agree might take some work,

And that is the problem. That, and commercial entities don't really want
their software in Windows Update where people could install it without
paying for it. The model really only works for free software.

> but then again, Adobe has Acrobat Reader in
> most distributions' official repositories.

Probably because Adobe doesn't have to deal with it. They just have to give
permission.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?