From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 8 Oct 2011 20:44:48
Message: <4e90ee80$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/10/2011 10:17 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 16:10:16 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>
>>> Try installing Notepad on Windows without installing Windows
>>> Networking.
>>>
>>> Oh, you can't do that.  Why?  Because Windows Networking is an
>>> integrated component of the operating system.
>>>
>>> Guess what - it's also an integrated component of GNOME, because
>>> interoperability matters.
>>
>> The irony is, you actually /can/ uninstall Windows networking (and even
>> the TCP/IP protocol). And Notepad still works. :-P
>
> Not if you try to save to a networked drive.

OK. But I don't actually want to do that, so I don't care.

Likewise, if I install GTK+ but not Samba, I can't save to a networked
drive. But since I'm not trying to do that, it's irrelevant.

>> Plus, installing Windows isn't a 4GB download.
>
> Installing Windows + applications is a lot more than 4 GB.  With the
> caching done on my Win7 VM, it sure seems to have downloaded 4+ GB of
> updates since installed, too.

Seriously?

The Windows XP CD holds less than 650 MB of data. (It's a CD.) Service
Pack 3 is only a few hundred MB, last I checked. Most individual updates
are a few KB to maybe a dozen MB. I would be /greatly/ surprised if you
need to download more than 1 GB.

Applications? Well, yeah, that could be arbitrarily large, depending on
what applications you want...

>>> It's a shame you didn't come over to the forums and ask for some help.
>>
>> Wouldn't that require me to figure out how to display IPv6 so that
>> Firefox works again?
>
> No.
>
> You have a Windows machine, do you not?

Not in the same building, no.

I mean, I guess I could have set something up. It's just frustrating
when all you're trying to do is a default install or whatever, and that
isn't working.

> Your problem is a lack of knowledge.  That can be corrected.  If you go
> into using Linux thinking it's going to be exactly like Windows, you're
> doomed to fail before you even boot the machine.
>
> Newsflash:  Linux is NOT Windows.  It doesn't work like Windows.  It
> doesn't feel like Windows.  Why?  BECAUSE IT ISN'T FREAKING WINDOWS!!!

And, uh, what do you base this assertion on?

You make it sound like I used Linux for five minutes, couldn't work it,
and gave up. That's not what happened at all!

> Software isn't perfect.  No matter which platform it is, it isn't going
> to be perfect.

Funny, I could have sworn Mac OS was perfect...

> You have to be willing to take some time to learn how the
> system works, rather than just try it and lament "it's hard".

You make it sound like I've made no attempt to do so.

I can work Linux. I can usually make it do what I want it to do. I
pointed out one specific issue: installing stuff tends to be a
dependency nightmare. Which is true. I don't see how that makes me an idiot.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/