From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Oct 2011 20:35:50
Message: <4e90ec66$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 01:33:11 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> On 08/10/2011 10:44 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> Had a lab full of machines that the power went out in once
>> (electricians doing a power upgrade).  We shut everything down
>> properly, they did some work, we powered everything up, and then they
>> started their actual work and threw the main breaker.
>>
>> Half the Windows machines wouldn't boot.  All the *nix and NetWare
>> machines (and AS/400s et al) booted more or less without any issue at
>> all.
>
> Now I'm puzzled. Why the heck would that happen? Last time we had a
> power cut at work, all 50 desktop PCs booted back up just fine
> afterwards...

We never actually figured out why so many of the Windows machines in the
lab failed to boot.  They were older HP servers (this was circa
2001/2002).  In the end, the Windows engineers ended up rebuilding the
systems; they were lab systems after all.

All I remember is those of us who handled systems other than the Windows
systems found it amusing that the Windows stuff was so fragile and the
other stuff just rolled with it.

Jim