From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 8 Oct 2011 19:05:20
Message: <4e90d730$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/8/2011 2:41 AM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> On 08/10/2011 05:39 AM, Darren New wrote:
>> On 10/7/2011 20:43, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> Sounds *so* familiar. Another reason to use Linux. ;)
>>
>> How the hell would that help?
>
> Seconded.
>
>> What helped was getting him off dial-up so I could talk to him at the
>> same time he's on the net, *and* connect into his computer remotely.
>
> I bought some hardware that lets me remotely connect to my grandparent's
> PC. (Unless, you know, the problem I'm trying to troubleshoot IS the
> Internet connection...)

Sounds like the nForce chipset bug, where the "internet security"
feature built in seemed to have the basic function, when turned on (and
you can't turn it off short of uninstalling the whole security manager),
seemed to be to slow the connection, cause packet errors, and prevent
you successfully downloading anything over a few megs in size. Took me
months to figure out that the problem wasn't the damn patch panels I put
in the wall, to connect the two rooms, for my network, but the damn
"internet security" on the motherboard of the computer that had the problem.