From: Darren New
Date: 8 Oct 2011 12:48:11
Message: <4e907ecb$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/7/2011 21:47, Jim Henderson wrote:
> Well, no, it's more about advanced usage.  And CLI in Windows these days
> is also for advanced users.

And for anything above the level of really simple BAT files, you're better
off using wsh, which is much closer to bash than cmd.exe.

> Like you said, it's an extra install.  sed/grep/awk/perl/vim are standard
> tools in most Linux installs.

I'd argue the entire Linux install is a free, extra install. ;-)

> I can edit text files without installing tools that are non standard.

You can edit the registry without installing non-standard tools too. If
you're going to argue that a developer having to download the free developer
toolkit is a significant difference, then you really shouldn't be a
developer on Windows. ;-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?