From: Darren New
Date: 8 Oct 2011 12:34:07
Message: <4e907b7f$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/8/2011 3:52, Jim Henderson wrote:
> In Windows, you have the entire ecosystem to support it.  It's called
> "Windows".

Plus, the tendency is to bundle all that stuff together with the program,
because you can't rely on the people having access to a "repository". So
every install disk has IE6, Adobe Acrobat, mvcrt.dll, and DX9 on it, along
with the program.

> That's because in Windows you have one desktop environment, and one set
> of dependencies.  Choice comes with a cost.  If you don't want the
> choices, use Windows.  Or Mac.

Oh, and because people programming Windows know you don't have a repository,
so they either bundle specifically what they need, or they don't reuse code
they could because of dependencies, or they buy a version to include with
their code that doesn't have the dependencies they want to avoid, or etc.

Why do you think the initial install of Windows takes so long and reboots so
often? It's installing a bunch of stuff that you'd otherwise have to grab
from a repository during installs of other stuff. You get .NET even if
you're not going to use it, because you might in the future.

>> or had my entire Windows installation completely cease
>> functioning to the point where I have to reinstall.
>
> "Orchid XP v8" - you once said that the "v8" indicated how many times you
> had reinstalled Windows XP.  So I call BS. ;)

Bazinga.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?