From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Oct 2011 07:11:08
Message: <4e902fcc$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 21:39:39 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 10/7/2011 20:43, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Sounds *so* familiar.  Another reason to use Linux. ;)
>
> How the hell would that help? What, the file navigators and web browsers
> in Linux automatically tell you what part of the window is important?

It helps because I can claim that I don't know much about modern versions
of Windows and point my mom to someone who's local to get help with her
problems. ;)

> What helped was getting him off dial-up so I could talk to him at the
> same time he's on the net, *and* connect into his computer remotely.

I've a friend who lives in Germany; he supports his 84-year old mother
(who is in Canada) remotely, and she's an openSUSE user.

She apparently recently got a call from one of these new scammers
claiming to be Microsoft needing to remotely access her machine to
install critical updates.

Much hilarity ensued, since she knew it was nothing to do with her
machine because it runs openSUSE.  :)

Jim