From: Stephen
Date: 7 Oct 2011 10:29:48
Message: <4e8f0cdc$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/10/2011 11:44 AM, Invisible wrote:
> Seriously. Name /one thing/ that Word 2010 has that Word 2 for
> Workgroups didn't have. Sometime around Word 97 or so that added
> antialiased text. Word has had styles for ages, but in Word 2007 and
> later they're /most obvious/ in the GUI, and you can change the styling
> of the whole document at the flick of a button. (And there are default
> styles supplied.) That's about all I can think of. With 20 years of
> development, that's a pretty unimpressive list.

They have added the ability to embed another document inside word
instead of just linking to it. Very handy if you want to create a
document locally and upload it to a secure server.

> How about Excel 2010? Well, Excel 2 had charts. They looked horrid, but
> they were there. Each new release of Excel adds a few more chart types.
> In Excel 2007, they changed charts to look nice. (They have antialias at
> last! And decent colour schemes. And so forth.) If that's all they've
> managed to do in 20 years of development, again that's pretty thin.

Talking about charts, the ability to get trend lines from your data and
display the equation, is useful. Before you had to use Power Point for that.

> I don't even use Access or PowerPoint heavily enough to comment
> meaningfully. PowerPoint seems to get a few new slide transition effects
> and slide templates with each release, but that's about it. Access
> doesn't appear to have changed /in any way/ since V2.

I've not used Access for yonks and Power Point makes me fall asl...
zzzzz ;-)

> And then there's Outlook. (Not Outlook Express, because that's an
> unrelated product.) The oldest version I've seen is Outlook 2000. The
> only difference I'm aware of with Outlook 2010 is that they /finally/
> made it so it automatically knows where the email server is, without me
> having to manually configure that for every user on every PC on the
> entire network one at a time. Thanks for that.

If you have ever used Lotus Notes you would not be complaining. ;-)

--
Regards
     Stephen