From: Invisible
Date: 7 Oct 2011 04:45:50
Message: <4e8ebc3e$1@news.povray.org>
>> But one of the trends in learning in general is that people tend to not
>> try to remember facts because they can be looked up so easily. This is
>> analogous to people not being able to do basic arithmetic because of the
>> ubiquity of technology that makes it unnecessary.
>
> And is that a good trend?

I doubt it.

> If you don't exercise your memory then you run
> the risk of not being able to use it when you need it. It is all very
> well being able to look things up but if you can't remember what it is
> that you want to know.

For some reason, every single time I'm in a car, I think up an endless
list of things I want to look up. And then when I get to my computer, I
can't remember any of it. Apparently I'm stupid.

> Another case is in social interaction. It gives a poor impression if you
> can't remember who the current prime minister or president is but say
> just a minute while I Google that.

In other news: I have absolutely no idea who is in charge of this
country at the moment. Then again, given the minimal impact it has had
on my life, I suppose that might be why.

>> I'm not saying it's a particularly good thing, but it's the way people
>> tend to behave.
>
> They also like to sit on a couch and eat potatoes. ;-)

"Hey Andrew, aren't you going to come and watch Strictly Come Dancing
with me?"

"Erm, no. I'm going to go out with my friends and ACTUALLY DANCE. Not
sit on a couch and merely WATCH people dance. :-P But hey, you enjoy
your evening."