From: Stephen
Date: 7 Oct 2011 04:37:48
Message: <4e8eba5c$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/10/2011 11:52 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> I rather have a shopping list.:)
>
> And for something like a running total, round numbers are "good enough".

I do and it is. But knowing what to round and in what direction requires
a little effort.

> But one of the trends in learning in general is that people tend to not
> try to remember facts because they can be looked up so easily.  This is
> analogous to people not being able to do basic arithmetic because of the
> ubiquity of technology that makes it unnecessary.

And is that a good trend? If you don't exercise your memory then you run
the risk of not being able to use it when you need it. It is all very
well being able to look things up but if you can't remember what it is
that you want to know.
Another case is in social interaction. It gives a poor impression if you
can't remember who the current prime minister or president is but say
just a minute while I Google that.

> I'm not saying it's a particularly good thing, but it's the way people
> tend to behave.

They also like to sit on a couch and eat potatoes. ;-)

--
Regards
     Stephen