From: Jim Henderson
Date: 7 Oct 2011 00:57:50
Message: <4e8e86ce@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 21:35:07 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 10/6/2011 21:13, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> You don't know anything about ChromeOS, do you?
>
> Only what I've heard people talking about at lunch. Nothing that would
> help any more than my complaining about Linux does. ;-)

:)

>> LOL, as long as you realize that there are loads of people for whom
>> it's not a problem. :)
>
> I think of all the areas, "audio" and "usability" are recognized as
> being low on the list for Linux. And by "usability", I mean things like
> "give the focus to the window I just opened, instead of some random
> window on some other workspace" and "when I plug in a USB audio device,
> yeah, I probably want to use that one without launching an xterm to
> select it. Oh, and by the way, the volume control slider? Probably a
> good idea to set the volume of the audio device to the setting of the
> volume control slider without me having to go and manually slide it up
> and down a bit to get it to apply to the newly selected audio device."
> Just dumb crap like that that isn't worth fixing if nobody is paying you
> to do so.

Audio certainly is an area that's recognised as being problematic.

For your usability comments:

1.  Never had a problem with focus going someplace I didn't expect (or if
I have, it's been a long time).  I do have windows set to auto-raise on
my system, which may make a difference.

2.  The rest is audio related, which really falls under what I said above.

Jim