POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : For metric gamers : Re: For metric gamers Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: For metric gamers
From: Alain
Date: 6 Oct 2011 14:09:38
Message: <4e8deee2@news.povray.org>
Le 2011/10/04 08:11, Le_Forgeron a écrit :
> Le 04/10/2011 13:27, Invisible a écrit :
>> On 04/10/2011 12:25 PM, Stephen wrote:
>>
>>> Not many people can drink straight spirits unless they are used to it.
>>
>> Used to it? Heck, I don't even know what the definition of "spirit"
>> actually *is*...
>
> can you trust: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distilled_beverages
>
> spirit : no added sugar, at least 20% alcohol by volume
> (that is at least 20° for the europeans, and if you want °proof... it
> starts at 35°proof for UK, 40 for US )
>
> With added suggar, it would be liqueur.
>
> I would expect most serious spirits to start after 35°.
> Casks-strength whisky (not the norm), are above 50°. (typical 60 to 65)
>
> normal whisky is generally about 40°. (water is added when transferring
> from the cask to the bottles)

In some jurisdictions, as in Canada, you can't legaly sell any spirit or
liqueur with more than 40% Vol of alchool.

You can have stronger stuff if you do some small scale personal imports,
like when you come back from vacation.
You can get almost pure alchool, if it's clearly NOT intended for human
consumption, or destined to get diluted before consumption.