POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : "If you didn't pay for it, you're being sold." : Re: "If you didn't pay for it, you're being sold." Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:27:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "If you didn't pay for it, you're being sold."
From: Invisible
Date: 6 Oct 2011 06:12:21
Message: <4e8d7f05$1@news.povray.org>
> Didn't this start with something about how much it costs to run
> Facebook? No doubt it is a lot of money. However the incremental cost of
> providing Facebook to any one user is immeasurably small. You could even
> say that denying Facebook to any one person would cost more than
> allowing it.
>
> GPS is a similar example with the critical difference that I don't see
> how a user is being sold.

The difference is, the US military *needs* GPS to exist, and they're the
ones paying for it. Once it exists, it costs no extra money to let you
and me use it, so why bother trying to charge for it?

Nobody *needs* Facebook to exist, and nobody *pays* for it to exist.
[Some people pay to put adverts on it, but they don't actually care
about FB itself. They just want lots of people to see ads.] Every single
extra person who accesses FB increases the costs for the operators
(unlike GPS). So yes, you're being sold.

Now figure this out: It costs money to access the Debian website. Who
the **** is paying for that?