POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : "If you didn't pay for it, you're being sold." : Re: "If you didn't pay for it, you're being sold." Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:27:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "If you didn't pay for it, you're being sold."
From: Paul Fuller
Date: 6 Oct 2011 02:32:47
Message: <4e8d4b8f@news.povray.org>
On 4/10/2011 6:20 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 08:59:40 +0100, Invisible wrote:
>
>> A better explanation might be "if it costs somebody money but you didn't
>> pay for it, you're being sold".
>
> That's the best way to look at it I've seen. :)
>
> Jim

GPS strikes me as a counter-example.  It costs somebody (the US military
/ government) a lot of money.  I didn't pay for it except by the most
circuitous reasoning (not being a US citizen).  I don't see how I'm
being sold by it or for it.  Now I do have to pay for a GPS receiver but
there isn't as far as I know any component in that cost for building and
running the satellite network, ground stations etc.

To every generalisation there is at least one obvious and irrefutable
counter-example - even this one.