POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Strange Artifacts : Re: Strange Artifacts Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:22:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange Artifacts
From: clipka
Date: 4 Oct 2011 07:50:46
Message: <4e8af316$1@news.povray.org>

> On 04.10.2011 03:55, clipka wrote:
>
>> For those I have no explanation so far. I'll probably need more code to
>> find out anything (camera, lights, global settings... the whole smash).
>
> Here it is, the whole smash:

The bad news for us is that this is indeed a bug. Apparently the math
for the torus is very susceptible to rounding errors when the camera is
inside a very thin torus, on (or very close to) the torus' "center
plane". (The cylindrical part of the railing seems to be affected only
because the torus, despite being cut away, still "projects" artifacts.)
The bug might be pretty similar in nature to the artifacts seen in
sphere sweeps.

The good news for you is that for obvious reasons these artifacts are
highly unlikely to show up in your final render.