POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I giggled a bunch at this. : Re: I giggled a bunch at this. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:27:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I giggled a bunch at this.
From: Invisible
Date: 4 Oct 2011 04:08:35
Message: <4e8abf03$1@news.povray.org>
>> That's interesting, because Wikipedia claims there's a long documented
>> history of ideas similar to this one, starting with Archimedes...
>>
> Not always evidence they where actually built though.

There seems to be plenty of documentation of people who claim to have
seen these devices in operation.

> And, again, its a
> matter of "size" and "complexity". Heck, even Babbage ran into the issue
> of, "I think this will work, but there is no way in hell I could ever
> build this thing."

No, that wasn't the problem. Babbage's problem was that he kept
tinkering with the design. Always thinking up new ways to improve it.
Eventually the workmen got hacked off with trying to build a design that
changes every five minutes. Plus, I gather Babbage was not a patient
man, and rather awkward to work with.

In a way, he seems to have been like me: Full of good ideas, but an
incurable tinkerer, and never actually finished anything...