POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : "If you didn't pay for it, you're being sold." : Re: "If you didn't pay for it, you're being sold." Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:30:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "If you didn't pay for it, you're being sold."
From: Invisible
Date: 3 Oct 2011 03:59:25
Message: <4e896b5d$1@news.povray.org>
On 02/10/2011 09:53 PM, gregjohn wrote:
> As a maxim, this is perfectly appropriate cynicism for something like Facebook.
> It's probably even appropriate for things like Windows, where you might pay cash
> and your frustrations with the product merely demonstrate that you yourself are
> the product, not the customer.
>
> Even on the worst day, with your most cynical hat on, this doesn't apply to
> povray,  which is very cool.

A better explanation might be "if it costs somebody money but you didn't
pay for it, you're being sold".

If a bunch of programmers want to write stuff in their free time, that
doesn't cost anybody any money. So if you get the results for free,
you're not necessarily being sold.

If you want to run Facebook, that costs a crapload of money. Hosting a
seriously high-traffic site like that isn't cheap. All that money has to
come from somewhere.

My blog, on the other hand, costs me almost nothing to run. So the money
doesn't really have to "come from" somewhere - i.e., I'm not selling my
users.

Incidentally, people talk about how FB has all this valuable user data
and how they're using it to do ultra-targeted advertising. ARE YOU
KIDDING ME? Have you *seen* their adverts? What are they aiming with? A
blunderbuss?! Because the targeting is just laughably poor. For example,
constantly spamming me with ads for dating websites, even after I
changed my profile to indicate that I'm no longer single.

Sometimes, you do something like change your status to mention
Marmite(tm), and an advert for Marmite(tm) appears. Sometimes you say
something like "man, I'm really looking forward to the weekend", and get
an advert for Hellman's mayonnaise. And sometimes, you say something
like "hey Helen, that was some great dancing yesterday" and get adverts
for Black & Decker power tools. I mean, seriously, WTF? This is not
"targeted advertising", this is "randomly generated spam".

Good thing it's so easy to ignore...