POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I giggled a bunch at this. : Re: I giggled a bunch at this. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:26:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I giggled a bunch at this.
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Sep 2011 14:32:48
Message: <4e860b50@news.povray.org>
On 9/30/2011 10:04, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Small difference: ALUs require energy. A storage medium typically doesn't.

ALUs don't require much energy. Look up "reversible computing" some time.
That's what it's all about. And yes, people have actually built computers
that take no energy to run, using quantum effects.

> If you're saying "you could make an analogue computer that was
> Turing-complete" then, yes, of course you could. If you're saying "the
> analogue computers what people actually built were Turing-complete" then,
> no, not really...

Well, sure, and neither are the real digital ones. That's kind of my point.

> Exhibit A: Totallistic cellular automaton number #110.

Exactly.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?