POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quoth the raven, "nevermore". : Re: Quoth the raven, "nevermore". Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:26:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quoth the raven, "nevermore".
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 30 Sep 2011 13:25:06
Message: <4e85fb72$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 16:50:10 +0100, Invisible wrote:

>>> Even stupid people can be enthusiastic about stuff.
>>
>> Jim's right, you know. You are not stupid. You've supplied plenty of
>> evidence to the contrary here.
>>
>> Stupid people don't talk about calculus, haskell, pov-ray and other
>> things. Stupid people sit and stare at the TV, watching to see whether
>> [insert current attractive celebrity here] is gonna show it all or not
>> or marry [insert other idiot celebrity who's gone through 25 marriages
>> already], or had sex with [insert random person] or just plopped out a
>> baby while flying on their own private lear jet. etc ...
>>
>> Stupid people don't concern themselves with such banalities as quantum
>> theory, integration, derivatives, signal processing or information
>> theory.
>>
>> Stupid people just want to push the shiny red button and see the
>> sparkly things.
>>
>> You, sir, are not a stupid person.
>
> We do occasionally get ex-Java programmers turn up on the Haskell IRC
> channel who've read about Haskell, are really excited about it, and also
> have the attention span on a goldfish.
>
> Required Bash quote: http://bash.org/?22094

Short attention spans are not an indicator of one's intelligence.  Ask
anyone who has ADD or ADHD.  My son went to a school that specialized in
working with highly intelligent students with learning disabilities -
which is ADD/ADHD.  Some incredibly bright kids - Ken among them - who
just couldn't focus.

One of the most fascinating discussions I've ever had was with one of his
classmates - Will described what it was like living in his head, and how
frustrating it could be to not be able to focus on one thing.  What he
said was one of the most eloquent ways I'd ever heard it put.

Jim