POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I giggled a bunch at this. : Re: I giggled a bunch at this. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:27:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I giggled a bunch at this.
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Sep 2011 12:44:02
Message: <4e85f1d2$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/30/2011 2:48, Stephen wrote:
> An algorithm is an effective method expressed as a finite list of
> well-defined instructions for calculating a function.

So, a cake recipe isn't an algorithm? I'll have to disagree.

> So in English, if possible, what do you mean?

O(lg N) approximately means the number of steps it takes to do something is
roughly proportional to the number of digits in the input. So looking up a
word in the index of a book, then turning to the page number, is
approximately difficult based on the number of letters in the longest word
of the index, the number of digits in the page numbers the index covers, and
the number of digits in the pages of the book.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?